We recently came across an excellent piece of research from GlobalWebIndex on the current state of video gaming. Some really interesting facts from this research include:
- Gamers are getting older - a quarter of all 45-54s also say they have an interest in gaming.
- Older players are more likely to be female - more females cite gaming as aninterest (19%) than males (17%) for 55-64s.
- Not surprisingly smartphones are extending their lead as the most popular gaming device.
- The East is where mobile gamers rule - .ore than 7 in 10 internet users inAPAC and the Middle East and Africa are gaming on their smartphone.
- The decline is console game has stabilized. Consoles now serve as a household media hub, as well as a gaming device.
- PC gaming is still very important - just under 1 in 2 internet users are gaming via PCs/laptops
- Spectator gaming continues to grow - with over a third having watched a live gaming stream in the past month, and over a quarter having watched an esports tournament.
- A quarter of console gamers visited Twitch in the past month
- VR is still only for early adopters. Of those who play games on any other device, only 5% own a virtual reality headset